Legislative advocacy consultant Becky Bowers-Lanier, who helps VCV work on legislative issues important to the individuals and organizations who support our work, gave us the 411 on how effective legislative advocacy works. She shares details on:
- What an advocacy consultant does
- How bills get introduced
- Who are legislators are (they’re citizens, just like us)
- What’s the deal with the budget?
- How does a bill become law?
- How can I follow a bill?
On the receiving (legislative) end, we talked to Virginia Del. Manoli Loupassi about the mechanics of legislation and constituent advocacy. He gave us insights on:
- How committees work
- How constituents can bring an issue to a legislator
- Advocacy etiquette 101